Hunting Island State Park
2555 Sea Island PKWY | Hunting Island, SC 29920 | Phone: 843-838-2011 | Fax: 843-838-4263 | huntingisland@scprt.com

History & Interpretation

The Hunting Island Nature Center

HISTORY AND INTERPRETATION

  • Programs and Guided Tours : Barrier Island educational programs and tours of the historic lighthouse complex are held year round. There is a $2/person fee to climb the lighthouse and you must be at least 44" tall to do so. For additional program information contact the Nature Center at 843-838-7437.

  • Nature Center : The Nature Center, located next to the fishing pier, is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9am-5pm year-round (days are extended to seven days a week during the summer). The center featuring live reptiles and exhibits highlighting the park's natural resources. Daily tours throughout the park are held March-November. Please call (843) 838-7437 for more program information including dates and times.

  • Museum : Displays and exhibits on the history of the lighthouse can be seen at the park visitors center. The displays also explain the erosion at the park.

  • Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) : Yes
  • National Historic Landmark : Yes
  • National Register of Historic Places : Yes
  • Designation : Hunting Island State Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal Program created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The program was designed to provide employment during the Great Depression while addressing national needs in conservation and recreation.

    The CCC was instrumental in the development of many of South Carolina’s state parks. A number of buildings built by the CCC in the 1930's are still in use at this park.

    The park is listed on the National Register.

  • When & How PRT Acquired : Donated in 1938 from Beaufort County